I invite comment on the value, the seriousness, the consistency, of this prize.
I think it is inconsistent. I will give a few examples here. There are websites that list the winners, one is here.
- Barack Obama, 2009, for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. This shortly after the one-term senator was elected president.
- Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzak Rabin, 1994, for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East. I am not making this up.
- The UN, and the UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan, 2001.
- Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontiers), 1999.
- Jody Williams, and the International Campaign to Ban Landmines, 1997, for their work for the banning and clearing of anti-personnel mines.
- Mikhail Gorbachev, 1990, President of the USSR, helped to bring the Cold War to an end.
I think the first three on my list are more dubiously valid than the last three. Feel free to comment, right here. What do you think?